Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pure yumminess!

So around my house, there is a coveted breakfast...the kind that makes every person in my house happy.
Cinnamon rolls!
When Jonathan and I were dating, I ventured to make them from scratch (first time making anything from scratch!) and from that point on, I have been "forced" to make them ever since. My wonderful hubby told me that those cinnamon rolls were really what won him over! He knew that if I could make them, then he could marry me!!!
Before I moved to Asia, they were maybe a once a year ordeal...or twice. I felt like it took so much time and effort to make them. I mean all the waiting for the bread to rise and the mess. It was a huge undertaking for me at the time.  I was thinking about this the other day, and how now it is nothing more than making a normal meal for me! I must say, I really like it though. I like that it has become easy and second nature to make things from scratch! Some times I feel that our society has lost that art and are so used to popping things into the oven. I love that too, and I miss it, but man do I love having something cooking in my oven and making my house smell good!
I also love the way it makes my husband and children feel so special, feel loved and taken care of.  I think this is my job! To love and take care of my boys. I also know how special it makes others feel to make them home made bread or cookies!
I think that everyone can do it! I  think that everyone can make someone feel special by something home made!

Before I knew it today at breakfast, I looked down and all my boy's breakfasts had disappeared in 2 min!!!! So here is my recipe and if your family (or friends) is anything like mine they will be gone before you know it!

Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:
  • 1 pack active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 2/3 cups high gluten flour
  • 1/3 stick of butter (softened)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 +1/8 cup (just a little more than 2/3 cup works) skim milk (warmed)

Filling:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 T cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • (or enough just to cover the whole thing! I usually don't measure this!)


Icing:
  • 8 T butter
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Alright, ready for goodness? First, put the yeast into the warm milk with a little sugar. Wait about 5 min until it is bubbly and growing! While you wait, add all the dry ingredients in a bowl. When your yeast is nice and bubbly pour it in and add the eggs and butter. Mix it up real good and form a ball. I usually use my hands to make sure the butter is good and mixed in. Knead for a few min and then leave for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
When it has been an hour, put your ball on a floured surface and roll out.
While you are waiting on your dough to rise you can mix the cinnamon and sugar or you can wait and just do it right before.
Roll the dough out till it is about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Then spread the softened butter all over it. Next is the cinnamon and sugar! The best part! Make sure it is covered all over so every roll has the yumminess!
Then choose one of the sides to start rolling up. It all depends on how thick you want them to be. I usually choose the long side and make them a little smaller b/c I have 4 boys to share them all with so the more the better! After it is all rolled up, cut them into about 12 pieces. You can use a serrated knife or I like the thread method.
Take a piece of thread or dental floss and make a loop under the log. Cross the pieces and cut the rolls. This way keeps the rolls from getting squished!
Place the rolls into a buttered 9x13 pan and let rise about another hour until doubled in size. Then cook in a preheated 350F oven for about 10-12 min. 
Then pour on the icing and enjoy!!!

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment