Saturday, November 27, 2010

The best Yeast Rolls I ever made!!!!!!

So I think one of the biggest quests in my life is to find the perfect yeast roll. I have tried many recipes all to have them just come up short. But this one I came across and tweaked a little to make it my own and I think they turned out AMAZING!!!!!! 
We celebrated Thanksgiving with all our American friends in our city, so, I made a TON (about 40 rolls or so). With these numbers, you will make a lot, so if you want to half it or use half for cinnamon rolls or something that would be great!!! I bet you could even prepare it and freeze the balls and then thaw out to cook at a later time.
So here you go:

  • 3 packs/9 Tbls active dry yeast
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 cups high gluten flour
  • 1 stick of butter (softened)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups skim milk (warmed) 
First, dissolve the yeast in the warmed milk with about a spoonful of the sugar. Let stand while you combine all the other dry ingredients, maybe 5-7 min so that there is a foamy layer on top of the milk. When the dry ingredients are mixed, (I often use a whisk to make sure they are all mixed up good!) I add the wet ingredients.
Mix it up as much as you can with a spoon and then jump right in with the hands. This is the fun part! Squish it all up until it makes a good ball. Knead it a few min to make sure it is all incorporated and let sit for about an hour in a warm place until it doubles in size.
After the hour is over, punch it down, knead it a couple of times and it is time to form the rolls.  It should separate into about 40ish even rolls. I separated the dough in half and then just cut it into rows and then into squares.  Then take each of the squares and you are going to make balls out of them. I lightly floured the rolls and then took my thumb and index finger and formed a circle. Using my other hand I pushed the ball through my fingers to make the tops pop out and look real pretty. You could just roll them into balls, but I think this made them all look really good.
Put the balls into a buttered pan, spaced out a little, and let rise again for about another hour. They should double again.
After the hour is over you need to bake them at 350F for about 14-15 min. The tops will be golden brown. Let them cool slightly. Then rub the tops with a little bit of butter and let cool.
I promise you and all your friends will love them!!!!!! I can't wait to have an excuse to make them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment